Posts Tagged ‘Yr Wyddfa’

Dau Gant a Hanner o Filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru: Diwrnod 5, Rhan 2

Gorffennaf 21, 2011

Mae’r criw yn parhau eu taith i Pont-y-Gromlech, ac yn gweld arlunydd yn pheintio’r olygfa mynyddol.  Mae nhw’n mynd heibio toll glwyd Gwastadnant, a theithio drwy Llanberis, gan nodi’r Eglwys a Gwesty’r Vaynol Arms.

Bwlch Llanberis

DD/DM/1113- Llun o Bwlch Llanberis o'r dyddiadur gwreiddiol 'Dau gant a hanner o filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru'

We got back to the road again and proceed on over Ty Hyll [Ugly House] bridge, and then the road runs at the base of rocky heights with the river on the left flowing through meadows, and gradually the bed or the stream becomes rugged at a bend in the road where we enter a charming place we see an artist sitting on the rock in the centre of the river painting the old romantic and pretty bridge of Ponty y Gyfing [Pont-y-Gyfing] the water tumbles beneath over ledges and masses of rock forming a number of cascades whilst in the back ground is it not for the peaks and ridges of Snowdon which present a magnificent appearance directly in front and apparently stretch across the vale, this view of the monarch of Welsh mountains being considered by many the best that is obtained at any point. 

We travel on mile after mile along this wild looking plain until we come to a bend in the road and immediately to our right is the Pen y Gwryd Inn, a lonely public house situated in a bleak wild looking country one mile from the top of the Llanberris [Llanberis] pass, it is reputed to stand on higher ground than any hotel in Wales, just past the Inn there are two roads right and left, the left or lower road leads to Beddgelert whilst the one we proceed by, the right, a higher road leads to the pass.  We make a gradual ascent of the hill where we make a collection of the various mosses growing on the rugged stone walls. Looking back we see our former tourist Dr Fletcher trotting down the road to Beddgelert, and on looking more to the right in the hollow see the Beddgelert Road running through a deep vale with the sun shining brightly on the green fields and a strip of the Gwynant Lake at the foot of an offshoot of Snowdon.  We reach the top of Llanberris pass where there is an Inn and a few cottages, here a path branches to the left for Snowdon. We keep on down the steep road and gradually the rocks become wild on either hand presenting a romantic aspect especially those on the right which are grand and irregular and using to a great altitude.  The view of these rocks are very impressive, we cross the old bridge and meet another fine four in hand coach, also a number of shows travelling through the pass, these hailed from London and Leicester. 

Just before we get to the pony y Gromlech [Pont-y-Gromlech] bridge, the rocks are high and wild, here we see another artist painting views of the mountain scenery, immediately this side the bridge on the left is a clean little cottage, round about it are huge masses of fallen rock called “The Cromlech”.  Large blocks lie on the mountain side, on every hand above are some peaked crags, again on the left we pass a foot bridge which crosses the torrent close by, a rill descends down the crags from the wild recess of Cwn Glas presently the Llanberris lakes, Llyn Peris, the upper lake and Llyn Padarn, the lower lake and Dolbadarn Castle appear done the vale, forming a fine subject for a picture.  For some distance further the cliffs are very wild. When we pass through the Gwastadiant [Gwastadnant] toll gate the savage features of the pass soften and a few cottages and fields are passed, we make a sharp turn and then the head of the pass is hid by a mass of rock.  We pass the entrance to the pass, also the old village and church of Llanberris, this church and village is 2 miles from the present new village of Llanberris opposite the Vaynoll Arms. A fair has just been held and the road is pretty well blocked with the rear guard of the shows we had just previously met in the pass, these were waiting for the chain horses to return to help them over past here. 

Dau Gant a Hanner o Filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru: Diwrnod 2, Rhan 3

Mai 5, 2011

Mae’r criw yn cyrraedd Corwen am 11 o’r gloch y bore, mewn amser i wylio ffair ceffyl ac ebol, gan ddisgrifio’r ardal fel un hen ffashiwn.  Maen nhw’n nodi’r fynwent, a’r Wyddfa, ac yn mynd heibio Cynwyd, Llandrillo a Llandderfel, wrth deithio tuag at Y Bala.

Corwen

DD/DM/1113- Cerdyn post yn dangos Corwen, o'r dyddiadur gwreiddiol 'Dau gant a hanner o filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru'

As we drive along, the country becomes tamer for a while, there are fewer trees on the river banks, and the valley broadens as we reach Corwen arriving there at 11.15.  We stopped to give Tommy a rest and to watch the foal and horse fair which was being held there, there was a fair number of foals but very few horses, Corwen is an old fashioned place, and is situated at the foot of a high rock on the north side of the Berwyn Range. In the Church yard there, there are some peculiar and ancient crosses also some other objects of interest in the shape of low gravestones with 2 holes for the knees of those who come to pray over the remains of their dead.  From the flagstaff above the town the peak of Snowdon is seen, we see Liberty which is an old schooling box, 1800 feet high and was erected by the Marquis of Exeter.  At 12.30, off again for Bala 12 miles distant – soon after leaving Corwen we see Llangar Church and then we arrive at Cynwyd, a village about 2 miles from Corwen, where there are some pretty waterfalls.  We pass Capel y Coed, Hendre and Tyddyn y Lan and arrive at Llandrillo a convenient place to ascend Cader Fronwen 2573 feet high and 5 miles distant. The Angling of Llandrillo is very good the waters being noted for Grayling. 

We are now 5 miles from Corwen and 8 miles from Bala, on every hand are smooth hills covered with ferns, grass and heather. We cross the Railway line again to Llandderfel a place noted as the residence of one of the celebrated Welsh fasting Girls, Gaynor Hughes, who is reported to have lived 8 years without anything more than a spoonful of water per day.  The date on the tombstone is 1786. There is also a restored Church which contains many interesting relics.  Some distance to our left we left Pale Mansion the residence of Mr Robertson the designer of the Viaduct over theDee. QueenVictoria visited Mr Robertson at this place in August last year.  We pass a deep wooded dell and little further on we stopped, some time gathering nuts which were plentiful by the road side, shortly a turn in the Valley reveals to us Bala, we see its Ecclesiastical spires and building.  On the brow of the hill we see the imposing substantial building known as the Theological Seminary of the Welsh Presbyterians of North Wales, and to the right we pass the entrance to the fine old mansion of Rhiwlas embosomed in trees, this Mansion was once a great fame and importance, and is now the residence of the Price family.  We pass over the bridge to the White Lion Hotel arriving at Bala at2 o’clock.