Posts Tagged ‘Ynys Seiriol’

Dau Gant a Hanner o Filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru: Diwrnod 7, Rhan 2

Medi 15, 2011

Mae’r criw yn parhau â’u taith o gwmpas Pen y Gogarth ac yn disgrifio Eglwys Sant Tudno.

Eglwys Sant Tudno
DD/DM/1113- Llun o Elgwys Sant Tudno, o’r dyddiadur gwreiddiol ‘Dau gant a hanner o filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru’

We now pass the toll house gate, a castellated structure of stone, pay the sum of 6d for the wagonette to go past.  Here the marine drive fairly begins the, worn rugged limestone rock, the beating sea birds hundreds of feet below. The long stretch of troubling waters, sparkling in the sunlight, the scene ever changing to fresh beauties, as the road winds up and down and onwards.  There is probably no drive like it or equal to it, for its beauty in the Kingdom.  The broad well made road is protected by a strong parapet in the seaward side as it winds onwards first ascending above the sea and again by gently gradients finding a lower level, curving around huge jutting angles and creeping under towering and seemingly threatening masses of overhanging rock, a wild and fascinating ride throughout. 

When I was in the bay 23 years ago, there was no marine drive the cliffs were the haunts if innumerable wild birds, such as gulls, razorbills, ravens, guillemots, cormorants etc etc.  At one time many of the villagers used to gain their living by collecting the eggs of these birds and selling them, the birds have now nearly all disappeared.  Round the first corner where the roads begin to dip again towards the sea level we pass a footpath leading to the old Church of St Tudno, which stands high above us.  It was erected about the eleventh century, it was long neglected and suffered to fall into decay.  In 1839 the roof was blown in by a terrific storm, it was restored in 1855 by a Birmingham gentleman as a thank offering for the recovery to health of his daughter through staying at Llandudno.  There are also on the head remains of some old cave dwellings, also an old copper mine.  At the extreme point of the promontory, we reach the new lighthouse and telegraph station erected in 1862, it has a light which can be seen 24 miles away, and is 325 feet above the sea level.  The view from this point is exceedingly fine, Puffin Island, Anglesey, Penmon lighthouse and the Menai Straits and Bridges, can be seen on a fine day.  Soon after leaving the lighthouse the whole of Conway Bay lies before us.

Presently the rocky precipices are changed for glass slopes, on our right in the hollows can be seen what remains of the old Abbey of Gogarth, a few bits of wall over hanging the sea.  It is very old as it was known to be a ruin in the reign of Henry the 8th.  We soon pass the toll house which marks the end of the Great Orme proper.  On our right in the field a lot of gipsies are encamped.  We pass on along the Abbey road bordered with private residences, then through the streets to the Crescent drive, and the circuit has been made giving us a splendid appetite for tea.  After tea we sport our figures on the promenade, looking for Uncle Arthur, but as we presume he is mashing elsewhere, return home and meet him on our door steps.  The night is agreeably spent with his funny tales, when he retires for the “Hydro” at the foot of the Little Orme, so once more we retire to rest feeling that we have all benefited by the out.

Mae cofnodion sy’n ymwneud a Llandudno yn cael eu dal gan Wasanaeth Archifau Conwy.  Mae mwy o wybodaeth am eu daliadau ar gael ar http://www.conwy.gov.uk/section.asp?cat=772&Language=2

Dau Gant a Hanner o Filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru: Diwrnod 6, Rhan 2

Awst 18, 2011

Mae’r criw yn gadael Bangor ac yn disgrifio’r ‘olygfa ardderchog o Gastell Penrhyn yn ei holl harddwch’.  Mae nhw’n teithio drwy Landygai ac Abergwyngregyn gan gyrraedd Llanfairfechan a ddisgrifir fel ‘dyfrfan tlws efo traeth tywodlyd braf’.

Penmaenmawr
DD/DM/1113- Llun o Benmaenmawr o’r dyddiadur gwreiddiol ‘Dau gant a hanner o filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru’

We leave Bangor at 9.30, on our left we get a fine view of Puffin Island (near here the Royal Charter was wrecked), and Beaumaris. Our pleasure here is stopped by a downpour of rain which necessitates stopping to arrange rugs umbrellas etc.  We soon arrive at the park walls of Penrhyn Castle, through a break in the trees we get a glimpse of the Castle.  We pass the splendid Castle gates and then have a lovely drive up a road thick with trees either side, bending over and forming a lovely tower.  We pass on to a second lot of entrance gates, we drive up the hill where we get another fine view of Puffin Island, Beaumaris and the Buckley Monument, and on looking back, get a fine view of Penrhyn Castle in all its beauty.  This Castle is the residence of Lord Penrhyn and is situated in the midst of a thickly timbered park on an eminence overlooking Beaumaris Bay and the entrance to the Straits; it is situated two miles from Bangor Station.  The Park is surrounded by a wall seven miles in circuit, the Castle is a fine modern mansion but built in the old style resembling a Norman stronghold, the great tower or keep being copied from Rochester Castle the interior is richly decorated, and in the inside are all kinds of furniture made of slate from the Penrhyn Quarries, in one of the bedrooms is a four post bedstead made entirely from slate. 

We proceed on a short distance until we get to the model village of Llandegar[Llandegai] with its pretty Church, this is approached by a thick avenue of yews.  We drive through the rain to the charming hamlet of Aber, here there are some splendid waterfalls and glens a little wide to our left is the Railway Station and Bulkeley Arms.  We pass a pretty Church which attracted my special attention, being built of slate stone with white stone facings.  After driving for some few miles and passing a very fine building of Castle like appearance on our left we arrive at Llanfairfechan which is a pretty watering place with a fine sandy beach, it stands out to sea with the Great Ormes head in view on the right.  It was an insignificant village until the late Mr John Platt M. P. from Oldham went to live there, he enlarged Bryn y Neuadd converted it in to an elegant mansion, and made other improvements in the neighbourhood. 

Mae cofnodion sy’n ymwneud â Chonwy, yn cael eu dal gan Wasanaeth Archifau Conwy.  Mae mwy o wybodaeth ynglyn ac eu daliadau ar gael ar http://www.conwy.gov.uk/section.asp?cat=772&Language=2

Dau Gant a Hanner o Filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru: Diwrnod 6, Rhan 1

Awst 11, 2011

Mae’r criw yn treulio gweddill y bore ym Mangor yn ymweld â’r Gadeirlan.  Mae nhw’n disgrifio’r brif stryd ym Mangor a’r golygfeydd tuag Ynys Seiriol a Llandudno.

Pont Britannia

DD/DM/1113- Llun o Pont Britannia o'r dyddiadur gwreiddiol 'Dau gant a hanner o filltiroedd drwy Gogledd Cymru'

Sixth Day

Saturday 20th September 1890

Bangor to Aber, Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr, Conway and Llandudno.

It had been raining during the night, this had not prevented on the ladies rising early, the excuse for this being that her husband took all the room, she threatened vengeance if he did the same at the next stopping place.  After a good breakfast at our lodgings (where the charges were rather high) we had a walk round Bangor, there is nothing of interest to visitors except the Cathedral, which is of so plain a character as scarcely to deserve a special visit. This Cathedral is a low structure erected in the year 525.  In 1402 it was burnt down in the rebellion of Owen Glyndwr, and remained in ruins for nearly a century, the Choir was built in the Reign of Henry the Seventh, the tower and nave were built in 1532, Owen Gwynedd  Prince of North Wales was buried in 1169.  The heart of Bishop Skeffington was buried here in 1530, his body being buried at Beaulieu in Hampshire.

The houses in the in the main street of the city stand low, and are shut out from any pleasant prospect from the houses.  On the high grounds you get pleasant views across the Menai Straits of the Buckley Monument and a little higher up we have the Menai and Tubular Bridges, and Beaumaris and other places on the Island of Anglesea [Anglesey].  Beaumaris is a pretty little place with a very old ivy clad Castle you also get a good view of PuffinIsland, in the distance Great Ormes head Llandudno.