Posts Tagged ‘Castell Harlech’

Dau Gant a Hanner o Filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru: Diwrnod , Rhan 1

Mehefin 16, 2011

Ar ddiwrnod 4, wedi talu pedwar ceiniog am fynediad, mae’r criw yn parhau i arolygu Castell Harlech.  Wedi cael brecwast mae nhw’n gadael Harlech, a pharhau tuag at Blaenau Ffestiniog am 9.30yb.

Forth Day

Thursday 18th September 1890

Harlech to Ffestiniog and Betws y Coed

Up pretty early to have a look at the town of Harlech, which is not very attractive. The sea is about a mile distant in the hollow below the Castle. The Castle is very old and very pretty. It is supposed to have been built in 1286 by Edward the first on foundations of an even older building. In 1404 Owain Glyndwr got possession of the fortress in the time of Edward 4th. The Earl of Pembroke laid siege to the fortress when 6000 men were found killed at the entrance gates. This was the siege which is said to have produced that fine Welsh Melody “The March of the Men of Harlech”. The Castle again played its part during the Cromwellian Wars being the last fortress in Wales that held out for the King. There is a walk along the walls of the building with a magnificent outlook to Snowdon. Visitors are admitted to the Castle on payment of four pence each. The Castle is all covered with ivy which affords a fine covering for the numerous crows, jackdaws and other birds which infest the place. From the Castle hill we get a pretty view of the rainbow and return to an enjoyable breakfast and prepare for off.

At 9.30 once more in the wagonette we started in a drizzling rain for Festiniog, 14 miles distant. We had not proceeded far before we came to a nice stretch of country where wild pigeons and hawks were pretty numerous. Beyond Harlech the bases of low hills are skirted with the flat track of Morfa Harlech. On the left, stretching to the sandy shore and across the bay is seen the coast from Port Madoc [Porthmadog] past Criccieth to Pwllheli and the Lleyn promontory. There is also a noble display of mountains including Llwyd Mawr, Moel Hebog, Snowdon Cynicht and Moelwyn. Soon the road descends to flat ground and is not interesting until we get about four miles from Harlech proceeding onward and we got into a narrow road or lane where a youth was driving half a dozen cows. We made various efforts to pass them and the cows kept running on. The more we tried, the faster they ran and eventually the youth was pumped out with running. This continued for about two miles when we stopped in order to let the youth get up with us, and to enable him to get before the cattle, in order to drive them into a field ahead of us. No doubt the youth came quicker that day than he had ever done before. If he only went back at the same speed his employer would have been surprised at his quickness.

Am fwy o ddelweddau o Gastell Harlech dilynwch y linc canlynol http://www.casgliadywerincymru.co.uk/Discover/Results/p_1/?keywords=Harlech%20Castle&tags=Harlech%20Castle&types=items

Dau Gant a Hanner o Filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru: Diwrnod 3, Rhan 4

Mehefin 9, 2011

Mae’r criw yn cyrraedd Harlech am ddau o’r gloch, ac yn disgrifio Castell Harlech a Bae Ceredigion. Treuliant y noson yng Ngwesty’r Clogwyn Temperance.  Oherwydd y tywydd garw, bu’r criw yn treulio’r noson yn chwarae cardiau.

Cynllyn o Gastell Harlech

DD/DM/1113- Cynllyn o Gastell Harlech o'r dyddiadur gwreiddiol 'Dau gant a hanner o filltiroedd trwy Gogledd Cymru'

At 2 o’clock Tommy was again ready for off, our destination this time being Harlech.  We were first getting into the wagonette when Righton turned up to wish us a pleasant journey, soon after it commenced to rain awfully hard, it came down in bucketfuls.  After sheltering near some shops for a time we decided to make progress and off we went.  We soon reach Llanaber over a mile distant.  We pass the Old Church built about the 13th Century, had it been fine we should have had a fine view across the sea towards the coast line of Carnarvonshire [Caernarvonshire] the land scenery about here is very tame indeed.  We pass on with the railway on our left past Egryn Abbey to Llanddwywe and Llaneddwyn [Llanenddwyn] and Dyffryn on to Llanbedr famous for its fishing.

We drive on past Pensarn Station to the left is Llanddanwg [Llandanwg] where there is a long since abandoned Church, which dates from the 14th Century, the graveyard only of which is used. It contains a few slabs of slate dated 1600.  All the covering of the roofs has vanished half the timbers have fallen into the sacred enclosure, the sand has drifted about the graveyard wall and re interred a thousand dead, and a lovely carpet of verdure has veiled the stones.  Wild herbs, brambles and shrubs encumber the chancel and aisles, no door or glass remains.  A fisherman dries his nets on the alter tombs, and these memorials slope at all angles, letting their slabs inscribed with old Welsh names and prayers, slide to the earth to be half covered with wildflowers and herbage.  We pass on to Llanfair when turning the road we come in sight of the beautiful old ruin of Harlech Castle, as we approach Harlech the Cardigan Bay lies before us (on a fine day the Castle of Criccieth on the Caernarvonshire coast and the town of Pwllheli can be seen from here) on our left we have the railway immediately below us with about a mile of flat marshy land extending to the sea shore. 

It is now 3.30 and being very wet we decide to “anchor” for the night. We put Tommy up at the Lion (or Blue Lion Hotel)- a place where the people are too slow for a funeral. We decided to hunt for diggings elsewhere. We found a very clean and comfortable house with Mrs Rees Evans, Clogwyn Temperance Hotel, the only drawback was waiting so long for our food, “slow and sure” appears to be the motto of people here. The rain still continuing we had no other alternative but to play cards and amuse ourselves indoors the best way we could. We had some amusement from the sitting room window, watching the efforts of two dirty looking Welsh women trying to get two pigs out of a garden into the sty from where they had escaped. One of our party drew attention to a picture in the fire and grate of what she thought was a Persian or Russian cat. Something has mesmerised our lady friend as the picture represented a barn door owl, the mesmerism had extended to more than one of the party who mistook potatoes for peas. The weather having put the damper on, we retired to rest in good time ready for the next day’s journey.